ColdQuanta’s Cool MOT Experiment Competition
Win a MiniMOT SE© * for your educational establishment by designing an experiment using ColdQuanta’s miniMOT or miniMOT SE system.
The object of the competition is to design an experiment using ColdQuanta’s miniMOT. Any type of experiment is acceptable as long as it utilizes the ColdQuanta miniMOT or miniMOT SE. The experiment shall be designed such that it can be carried out in an advanced undergraduate physics laboratory setting. The potential experiments to be conducted on a miniMOT may include, but are not limited to, experiments relevant to general atomic physics and spectroscopy, quantum optics, Rydberg physics, etc.
This competition is open to all enrolled undergraduate, postgraduate students, employed researchers and teaching professionals in post-secondary teaching institutions. Entrants must be aged 18 or over and must enter on behalf of a named teaching institution.
Winners will be selected based on three main criteria: the originality of the proposed experiment, the use of ColdQuanta’s miniMOT as part of the experiment, and on the description of the experiment (see Official Rules below for details on how the experiment will be judged). Please note that this is not a prize draw but a scientific competition. Please also note that these official rules do not constitute a tender and tender law regulations and principles do not apply. The competition is void where prohibited or restricted by law. No purchase or payment will improve your chances of winning. Please review Official Rules below regarding your entry submission. This competition will close on the 31st March 2017. * The prize does not include the miniMOT SE kit, lasers or related equipment.
- Eligibility: ColdQuanta’s Cool MOT Experiment (the “Competition”) is open to all individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry and enrolled at, or employed by a post-secondary teaching institution. Individuals and groups are eligible to enter on behalf of their teaching institution. For purposes of the competition, if there is a group submission, all group members must provide their names to ensure eligibility and a primary author and recipient institution must be designated.
- Ineligibility: The Competition is not open to (a) residents of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Syria, the Crimea Region, and any other U.S. sanctioned country and is void where prohibited by law; (b) a person on the U.S. Table of Denial Orders, Entity List, List of Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons, or any other similar list of any applicable jurisdiction, or any person affiliated with any person or entity on any such list; (c) an official or representative of any foreign government; d) any other person to whom the awarding or delivery of any prize would violate any applicable statute, regulation, order, rule, treaty, directive, or other law or any of Sponsor’s policies or (e) employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives and their immediate family members (which means parents, spouses, children, siblings, in-laws, grandparents and grandchildren and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) or residents in the same household (whether legally related or not) of the Sponsor and affiliated companies, distribution, advertising and promotion agencies, legal and financial advisors, any and all other companies associated with this Competition (including anyone who may be involved in judging) including the University of Colorado.
- Sponsor: The Competition is sponsored by ColdQuanta, Inc., located at 3030 Sterling Circle, Boulder, Colorado, 80301.
- Agreement to Official Rules: Participation in the Competition constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon being compliant with these Official Rules and fulfilling all other requirements set forth herein.
- Competition Period: The competition begins on September 19 at 12:00pm MDT and ends on 31st January, 2017 at 12:00pm MST (the “Competition” period). Entries must be submitted within the competition period in order to qualify for a prize. Entries that are submitted before or after the Competition Period are not eligible to participate, and are disqualified. ColdQuanta takes no responsibility for entries that are lost, delayed, misdirected or incomplete or cannot be delivered for any technical or other reason. Proof of delivery of the entry is not proof of receipt. Submission will be accepted for the duration of the Competition using any of the following methods: (a) Entry via competition web-page form; (b) E-mail entries; and (c) entries by mail.
- How to Enter
Via Mail: Submissions can be sent via mail, postmarked by 30th November, 2016 to:
Cool miniMOT Experiment competition
3030 Sterling Circle
Boulder, CO 80301
- Via e-mail: Submissions will be accepted via e-mail. Entries should be sent to: email@example.com
- How to Enter
- All entries to the Competition should adhere to the format below and must be completed in English. Acceptable entries will include:(1) First page containing: (i) name of Experiment, (ii) name of participant(s) (iii) primary “author”’s contact information, and (iv) name of educational institution; (2) A mini manual containing: (i) the goal of the experiment,(ii) a complete description of the experiment (including materials and instruments needed), (iii) description of the measurements to be performed (including plots, photographs, diagrams), (iv) description of proper safety instructions and (v) expected results (max 6 pages); (3) A one page cost breakdown of the experiment set-up assuming that a working MOT is already in place (1 page), and (4) References (last page).
- Selection of Winners: During the period from December 05, 2016 to December 15, 2016, the Sponsor will select the winner of the competition. The winner will be selected by a panel of judges selected by the Sponsor who will evaluate the entries, and rank them in accordance to the following criteria:
- Goal of the experiment which must go beyond creating the MOT 5 points
- Originality of the experiment 15 points
- Description of the experiment 10 points
- Use of ColdQuanta’s miniMOT in the experiment 25 points,
- Manual describing the experiment (Equipment, materials and tools needed for the experiment;
- Setup and assembly instructions; Description of measurements to be performed; References.) 25 points,
- Ease to implement experiment in a college environment (accessible to advanced undergraduate students) 10 points
- Experiment is reasonably easy to implement experimentally and financially* 10 points.
* Entries should have a breakdown of the cost to setup the experiment given the assumption of a working MOT is already in place.
In the event that multiple experiments receive the same high score, the tiebreaker will go to the experiment that is judged to be most innovative and creative.
- Prizes: First Prize (1): One fully functional miniMOT SE and associated manuals*.
- The experiment of the winning entry will be included as part of the “MOT manual” for possible experiments to perform using cold atoms using ColdQuanta’s miniMOT SE. Full credit will be given to the entrant of the winning entry.
- Only one first prize will be awarded. No other prizes will be awarded.
- NOTE: All taxes, including customs duties, associated with the prize, and all expenses not specifically mentioned herein, are not included and are solely the winner’s responsibility.
- Total value of the prize is $9,900.00. The prize does not include the miniMOT SE kit, lasers or related equipment required to produce a MOT.
- General Conditions: In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the competition is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, worm, unauthorized human intervention or other technical problem, or in the event the competition is unable to run as planned for any reason, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either (a) suspend the competition to address the impairment and then resume the competition in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules or (b) terminate the competition and, in the event of termination, award the prize from the eligible, non-suspect entries received up to the time of the impairment. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the competition or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to undermine the legitimate operation of the competition may be a violation of criminal and civil laws, and, should an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages (including attorney’s fees) and any other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- The Sponsor reserves the right to extend the competition if it so desires, and/or deny awarding the prize if any of the entries satisfy the eligibility criteria set forth within these rules.
- The prize is not transferable, assignable or redeemable for cash except at Sponsor’s sole discretion in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded. No substitutions by winner. Cash will be not be provided in lieu of any prize. All federal, state, county, provincial, country and other tax liabilities (including income and withholding taxes) and any other costs and expenses associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided are the responsibility of the Competition Winner. Each Competition Winner who is a legal resident of the United States will be issued a 1099 for the actual value of his/her prize, if the actual value exceeds $600.
- The first prize (a miniMOT SE) will be delivered to the winner upon a mutual agreement between the winner and the Sponsor.
- Release and Limitations of Liability: By participating in the competition, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, and each of their respective, affiliates, distribution, advertising and promotion agencies, other companies associated with the competition, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives, and agents (the Released Parties) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the competition or receipt or use of the prize, including, but not limited to: (a) any technical errors associated with the competition; (b) unauthorized human intervention in the competition; (c) mechanical, network, electronic, computer, human, printing or typographical errors; (d) lost, late, incomplete, garbled, illegible, undelivered, stolen, damaged, delayed, postage-due or misdirected mail, entries, application downloads, any other errors or problems in connection with the competition, including, without limitation, errors that may occur in the administration of the competition, the announcement of the winner, the cancellation or postponement of the competition, the incorrect downloading and processing of any competition-related entries or related materials; or (f) injury, death, losses or damages of any kind, to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrants’ participation in the competition or acceptance, receipt, use or misuse of the prize. Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the competition, and in no event shall the entrant be entitled to receive attorney’s fees. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the competition. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
- Disputes: Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the competition or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Colorado. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrants’ rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connections with the competition, shall be governed by, and constructed in accordance with, the laws of Colorado, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Colorado.
- Entries: All submitted entries will become the property of the Sponsor. The Sponsor may use and modify the materials received for promotional, advertising and/or instructional purposes of its devices and systems, in which case full credit of the entrant’s work will be given. Furthermore, by entering the competition, the entrant understands and acknowledges, personally and through their respective institution, that: i) the Sponsor has wide access to ideas, experiments, designs, and other materials, and those new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by their own employees; ii) many ideas or experiments may be competitive with, similar to, or identical to content in your Entry and/or each other in design, format, or other respects; iii) You will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of the Sponsor’s use of any such similar or identical material that has or may come to it from other sources. Except where prohibited by law you acknowledge and agree that the Sponsor does not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of your copyright in and to the Entries. Finally, you acknowledge that, with respect to any claim of yours relating to or arising out of the Sponsor’s actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Entry or other material submitted in connection with the Competition, the damage, if any, thereby caused to you will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle you to seek any injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin, otherwise interfere with, delay, or interrupt the production, distribution, exhibition, or other exploitation of any production based on, or allegedly based on, your Entry, and your rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
- Winner List
To request the name of the winner send a self-addressed stamped envelope to 3030 Sterling Circle, Boulder, CO 80301. Winner requests will only be accepted after the promotion end date.